Wednesday 7 May 2014

Kashrut

I was having a bit of trouble coming up with a blog topic for this week, so I'm sorry it seems sort of random. I decided to this time write about my experience growing up keeping kosher, because most of the people here didn't, so maybe I can spark some debate.
It has always been natural for me to keep kosher. Until a little before my Bat Mitzvah, I never even contemplated not keeping kosher. A few months before my Bat Mitzvah, right around my twelfth birthday, I had a discussion with my uncle, who doesn't keep kosher. He reminded me that once I became Bat Mitzvah, I could make my own decisions regarding my Jewish life. That was the first time it occurred to me that I could decide to not keep kosher, if I really wanted to. Of course, it became a moot point soon after, when I became vegetarian.
Even though it didn't matter what I did in practice, because I wasn't going to be eating meat anyway, it did spark an interesting line of thought for me. Ever since that conversation, I've often thought about kashrut, why people keep kosher, and the significance. I have formed some very distinct opinions on the subject at this point, although they aren't really ideological. My opinion is that the idea of keeping kosher is more for practicality and morality's sake, rather than God's. After all, the laws of kashrut require that the animals be killed humanely, as well as be kept healthy in life. The advantage of being humane is definitely attractive to me, as well as the fact that healthy animals are more healthy to the person consuming them, too.
Therefore, I'd have to say that, merely for my health's sake, if I were to ever stop being vegetarian, I think I would still keep kosher.
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment