Friday 16 May 2014

Answering the question: what role, if any do you want Israel to play in your life when you go home?

My idea of involvement with Israel after EIE is most likely completely different from most people on this trip's. A lot of people I'm sure are envisioning being the equivalent of Israelis who moved to the states, in that they will always be talking it up and connecting their entire lives to it. I know that a huge portion of EIE Spring 2014 is considering Aliyah in some way or another, whether they have concrete plans already in place or just a sketchy idea of what life might be like here. Even more of us are planning on coming back for some sort of gap year, or another school semester or year. Either way, most of us have plans to be back here for an extended amount of time as soon as they see it to be possible in their lives.
While I completely see and respect their plans and ideas, that is not where I would like my life to go. I am not planning on making Aliyah, in fact I don't think I would be able to live here for more than six months at a time. It's just too intense. I also know for a fact that (if there is a) next time I study abroad, I would like it to be in the UK, not Israel. I know I'll be back here, hopefully soon, but I don't think it'll be for any extended amount of time.
On the other hand, I have encountered lots of organisations and causes while being here that I would really like to help out and/or be involved in. Women of the Wall is definitely one of them, and I would at the very least like to come back a few times and pray with them on my own, and if I have the financial resources, perhaps donate some money to them. There is also the organisation (also headed by Anat Hoffman of Women of the Wall) called IRAC, which is an organisation that takes on the law and works to bring equality to Israel. Just the other day, they won a two year long case for a lesbian dance instructor named Nurit Melamed, who was outed and blacklisted by a Jerusalem Rabbi. Another cause that they work for that Anat told us about when she visited to speak is prejudices and discrimination against Arabs. There are many other causes that they work for, all connected to social justice and equality, but I can't remember them right now, and the IRAC website isn't working. At any rate, I could definitely see myself working with them at some point.
With regards to the role of Israel in my every day life back home (as in, let me finally answer the actual assigned question), I'm not really sure. Israel is very  important to me, and I know that I will always defend it. I don't really know what all I can do, aside from assure that people who reveal themselves to be ignorant on the subject have that rectified, and make sure to read the news every so often, both of which I will definitely do. I don't attend a summer camp, which for some would be another connection, but I do go to synagogue quite often, and through there I feel confident that I will not be left in the dark. Essentially, I would like for the role of Israel in my life to be pretty much the same - if on a bit of a larger scale - as it was before I came on EIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment