Saturday 1 February 2014

Services and Shabbat

This Shabbat has been an interesting experience for me. The customs and traditions of Reform Judaism are much more different from my own than I would have expected. Many of the prayers that we, at the Reconstructionist congregation of Kol Halev, do in whole, are shortened or simply omitted. Other prayers that we do here, we don't do at all back home. Still more have radically different tunes, or a few changed words here and there. 
For instance, in the blessing before reading from the Torah, at my temple we say "asher kervanu la'avodato," while here (and I think in most other places) they say "asher bachar banu mikol ha'amim." The difference is that, in Reconstructionist Judaism, all references to the Jewish people being above the other people, or the chosen people, are removed. We also say "with the other nations" as opposed to "from the other nations" whenever that comes up.
It has been difficult for me for other reasons too. Most everyone here has attended some form of Reform camp, and they all seem to know the same tunes, games, songs, and traditions.  It's hard, not knowing half of the prayers. I am trying to learn all of the tunes that I don't know, but it isn't quite the same as having known them all along and being very familiar with all of them, like so many of my peers are. It reminds me that I am different, and though I don't usually mind that, it will make things harder during the religious aspect of this trip.
I appreciate the strong connection that most of this community has, but I hope that soon I can find my own place in it as well. It's a beautiful thing, friendship, and not one that I would ever want to miss.

3 comments:

  1. The transition sounds like it will be very challenging! You mentioned a few different important issues. The issue of using different tunes will start to feel natural soon, not to worry. That's fantastic that you noticed the difference in the Hebrew in the blessing before the Torah reading. Which version do you identify with? Do you agree with the Reconstructionist view about Am Yisrael? Should we be different? Are we "chosen"? If so, does that mean we think we're better than other Ams? Does it mean we should hold ourselves to a higher standard?
    One of the really wonderful things about EIE is the kehila (community) that forms anew each semester. Trust me, there are plenty of other students like you who haven't been to Reform camps and are struggling to adjust. The camp kids just make a lot more noise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on having to learn and grow accustomed to new tunes and prayers, etc. Having grown up in a conservative synagogue, I felt self-conscious as I tried to sing/chant along with Diana's Reconstructionist congregation; she also has ways and tunes she got from Israel that have been new to me. The recent retreat at Elat Chaim in CT was essentially Renewal; wow, different, though more passionate. Part of growing and expanding and getting a feel for one's self as we develop throughout life, a sense of who we are to ourselves and in relation to others, is to immerse oneself in the ways of the people around us (as long as it's not a danger to you), while at the same time not losing or betraying the core values we hold dearest. Don't just float and look at what passes across your gaze. Plunge into the waters and plum the depths, look all around you with all five senses; make friends with the girl next to you and learn her songs; make friends with the man down the way and learn his music; in the end you may make many friends and learn many voices and customs and ways of the world; in the end, some of the friends may be friends while others may not, yet you will still have what their loss cannot take from you. Be safe, have fun, explore, enjoy, pray, meditate, climb, run, walk, watch, listen, talk, love, like (not fb), tease and be teased, joke and be the object of jokes, laugh at yourself, smile and be smiled at, frolic, hike, taste, savor, slurp, touch and be touched, hold and be held, care and be cared for and about, learn, hesitate, and feel. I love you and am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilana, I felt the same way when I met you guys! Isn't that interesting? I come from a Reform background and I didn't recognize any of the songs that you guys chanted. It's amazing how singing familiar melodies and words to songs can be so comforting. When the songs are unrecognizable it can almost make us feel homesick for that which was familiar. While I know none of the songs from the Reconstructionist camp, I appreciate and believe in the movement's focus on social action/justice. It totally makes sense that you would feel a little frustrated with the Reform's text/words. Do you discuss this with your professors/fellow students?

    ReplyDelete