Wednesday 30 April 2014

This was supposed to be posted last night, sorry!

Okay, I've been assigned to write about another piece of Israeli culture. Last week, I wrote about a book I read. This week, I'm going to talk about the musician we just went to see. His name is Kobi Oz, and he used to be a part of a well known band by the name of Teapacks. Tonight he played us a huge variety of music - all of it with his own unique flavour to it, of course. His music is quite obviously Israeli, in every way, from the lyrics to the style.
A little bit about Teapacks quickly: they were formed from Oz and a few of his friends from Sderot along with a few people from some of the surrounding kibbutzim. This was something entirely unheard of, because the Sderot people and kibbutzniks didn't exactly like each other.
Okay, back to the music.
At first, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I looked up a song of his on YouTube, and I really didn't think it was my style. Boy, was I wrong. Now, I'm not saying that Teapacks is my new favourite band, but it definitely caught my interest. They combined eastern music with modern rock in a way that I have never heard before, and it was definitely fun to listen to. The music used instruments of all kinds, ranging from bass guitars to accordions to pianos to violins. At one point they even used one of those whistles that sounds like a train whistle.
He told us this story about the time that Teapacks went to play at Eurovision; let's just say they were unforgettable, and 210% Israeli. Oz decided to go for impact, rather than first prize, and so he wrote a song that he felt accurately described his life in Sderot. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, the song absolutely oozed Israeliness. It was full of their dark humour, and he performed it with an air that can only be described as chutzpah. (I'm hoping you all know what chutzpah is.. If not, comment, and I'll write another blog on it.) He told us the story of how they went there, not to win, but to shock. Of course, they succeeded.
It was actually that song that made me like them so much. It was just so gutsy, and so entirely Israeli, that it reminded me just how different - and awesome - Israeli culture is.

No comments:

Post a Comment